Training Update: 22-Mile Long Run, Race Upcoming?

Just a brief update here...the long runs I've done for the past 3 weeks have covered 19, 22, and (today) 15 miles. I'm tapering a bit and hoping to toe the line for an 8-hour timed race in 2 weeks.

My peak weak covered 46 miles total. I've continued with the 1-minute fast/1-minute slow intervals over the last 3 weeks with top speeds under 6:30/mile. I'm far less trained than I've been for any ultramarathon (and less trained than for all but one of my marathons), but I think I have the fitness to give it a try and hope for a middle-of-the-pack or better finish. I'm shooting to cover over 40 miles.

I still have some doubts about making it to the start line. My surgically repaired right knee is aching a bit. In addition my left knee has become sore. It's a bit stressful at work right now (and preparing for the holidays) and there are lots of "bugs" going around. If I can get through these two weeks and get to the line...that would be quite a triumph. Even if I'm not able to compete, just having reached this position makes this an excellent training year for me.

Comments