Training Update: No Further Setbacks...Still Making Slow Progress

I haven't done an update in a while...because there has been little to update. I have not had a significant setback since that Feb 19th update. I have also not really had a great leap forward. I've been running a consistent 5 days per week and have been inching my mileage and speed upward. I have run at least 20 miles per week, every week, for 13 consecutive weeks. My biggest mileage week is the one I just completed: 25 miles (so, on average I've been raising my weekly mileage by about 0.3 miles per week). 

My mileage increases have been so small and gradual, I don't think my body notices the difference from week to week. However, cumulatively...I'm getting somewhere. My weekly long run is up to 9 miles. I averaged 9:55/mile on this morning's long run. My fastest miles have typically been around 9:30/mile and I've gone a bit faster a few times. 

The most significant change in my training is adding some 30-second repeats (with 90-second rest intervals) to one workout in the middle of each week. Some of the faster repeats I've done so far are in the 6:00 to 6:30/mile range. I'm pretty pleased with this. I haven't pushed these intervals too hard. I just do the first few repeats a little faster than jogging pace and the push the speed up on the remainder as my knee loosens. A possible cause of my setback last October was that I got a little carried away with doing treadmill striders. While I was very gradual from week to week in increasing the pace, I think I did some fast workouts at the end where I didn't "listen to my knee" and just dialed in the number on the treadmill I was shooting for. I don't currently have any speed goals this time, I am doing the repeats outside and just taking what my knee will give me. If it is tighter or stiffer...I just go slower.

I'm still not back to where I was last October, but I'm getting close. I'm gong to continue the same 5-day per week running pattern (Mon: cycling/weights; Tue: short easy run; Wed: medium run with 30s repeats; Thur: short easy run; Fri: cycling/weights; Sat: short easy run; Sun: long run.) Now that I can sustain paces below 10 min/mile for extended periods (almost 90 minutes today), I'm starting to see a path to longer runs at 10ish min/mile. If I can run for 3 or 4 hours at this pace later this year or next...perhaps I can try ultra distances again at 11 to 12 min/mile pace...which would be fun and certainly competitive at my age. Still a very long way to go to get there...but this vision keeps me enthusiastic and focused.

If I can remember to back down and rest when needed and keep the increases in mileage and pace gradual...I think I can get to a place where I will be ready to try racing again.

Comments