Slow, Slow Progress...but I'm Still Running

Well...that last setback turned out to be a big one. My tender right knee has prevented me from running as long or fast as I was running in October of last year. I just had my best week since that setback: covering 19 miles in 5 runs with a longest run of 5.5 miles. In October I had a long run of 11.5 miles and was able to go 9.9 mph (6:04/mile) for up to 30 seconds on the treadmill. It has taken me these past 3 months to gradually get back to being able to run around 11:00/mile or so at my fastest. Much was lost...but since the start of 2023 I've been slowly and gradually progressing in distance and speed.

I did not handle that last setback well (...and in fact I'm still not handling it optimally). I should have went back to the orthopedist. However, with the holidays approaching, the thought of more orthopedist visits to NYC and MRIs and such was totally unappealing...so I procrastinated. I have a rheumatologic condition that could very well have caused or contributed to my knee flair up...so seeing a rheumatologist would have made sense. I got a recommendation for one in my area, but he wasn't seeing new patients. Rather than find another I became absorbed in my work and slightly satisfied with the progress I've been making with my running (5 days per week) and cycling/lifting (2 days per week) since 2023 began. I should still seek to follow up on my medical situation. I recognize that I've been lazy on this. Hopefully I'll overcome that soon...I need all the help I can get.

Moving forward, I do not plan in the short term to do much more than I am doing now. I'd like to stabilize for a while at 20 miles per week with a long of 6 miles. When I show that I can handle that for a while without breaking down, I'll move slowly forward again. Not sure if I'll start with adding some incline/hill work for strength, adding some short striders for speed, or lengthening my runs a bit. Will follow up with my strategy when I figure that out.

I realize now that I'm more than 2 years out from mosaicplasty/OATS, I've probably healed about as much as I'm going to. I'm clearly never going to return to anything near the competitive level I was at before the surgeries. In fact I may never be able to sustain more than I am doing right now. 

You may be thinking..."isn't 20ish miles and two weight lifting sessions per week enough for a 58-year-old who has had 2 knee surgeries? That's more than enough for excellent fitness for anyone. Why do you need more?" Well...at times I do think I could just stabilize with what I'm doing now and be satisfied. However, I know myself. If I stayed with such a routine for months with no setbacks...I'd start to think about seeing if I could do a little more...that's just how I'm built. Running is not just fitness for me...it's my sport...it's my fun.

I'm not finished yet. I'm going to try and progress. I'm going to be even more cautious and gradual, but I remain curious to see how far (and fast) I can go. Maybe this is dumb, but I don't want to be left wondering what I could have done, if I had kept trying.

Comments